Collaborative Information Behavior
CIB, one information behavior research topic,
related topics: computer-supported cooperative work (CSCW), co-browsing, collaborative information synthesis, collaborative filtering,
collaborative information seeking collaborative information retrieval social searching, concurrent search, collaborative exploratory search,
- Reddy, M. C., & Jansen, B. J. (2008). A model for understanding collaborative information behavior in context: A study of two healthcare teams. Information Processing & Management, 44(1), 256-273.
- Sonnenwald, D. H., & Pierce, L. G. (2000). Information behavior in dynamic group work contexts: interwoven situational awareness, dense social networks and contested collaboration in command and control. Information Processing and Management, 36, 461–479.
- Karamuftuoglu, M. (1998). Collaborative information retrieval: towards a social informatics view of IR interaction. Journal of American Society for Information Science, 49(12), 1070–1080
- Reddy, M. C., & Jansen, B. J. (2008): “Karamuftuoglu (1998) outlined the beginnings of a theoretical framework for understanding the collaborative nature of information seeking. The core of this framework is that information seeking is just as much about producing new knowledge — a creative and inventive activity — as it is about finding extant information. Karamuftuoglu addresses two knowledge functions of information retrieval (IR) systems. These IR systems should support transferring knowledge and creating new knowledge, where the latter is dependent on social networks and relations.”
- Foster, J. (2006). Collaborative information seeking and retrieval. Annual Review of Information Science and Technology, 40, 329–356.
- Reddy, M. C., & Jansen, B. J. (2008): “an excellent review of [conceptual elements such as trust, awareness, and coordination].”
- Bruce, H., Fidel, R., Pejtersen, A., Dumais, S., Grudin, J., & Poltrock, S. (2003). A comparison of the collaborative information retrieval behaviors of two design teams. New Review of Information Behaviour Research: Studies of Information Seeking in Context, 4(1), 139–153.
- Fidel, R., Bruce, H., Pejtersen, A. M., Dumais, S., Grudin, J., & Poltrock, S. (2000). Collaborative information retrieval (cir). New Review of Information Behaviour Research: Studies of Information Seeking in Context, 1(1), 235–247.
- Poltrock, S., Dumais, S., Fidel, R., Bruce, H., & Pejtersen, A.M. (2003). Information seeking and sharing in design teams (pp. 239–247). Paper presented at the ACM conference on supporting group work (GROUP’03), Sanibal Island, FL.
- Patent Office
- Hansen, P., & Jarvelin, K. (2005). Collaborative information retrieval in an information-intensive domain. Information Processing and Management, 41, 1101–1119.
- CIB models, extending Kuhlthau’s Information Search Process model.
Hyldegard, J. (2006). Collaborative information behavior—exploring Kuhlthau’s information search process model in a group-based educational setting. Information Processing and Management, 42(1), 276–298.
- Academic researchers
- Spence, P.R., Reddy, M., & Hall, R. (2005). A survey of collaborative information seeking of academic researchers (pp. 85–88). Paper presented at the ACM Conference on supporting group work (GROUP’05), Sanibel Island, FL.
- Health care CIB:
- Reddy, M., & Dourish, P. (2002). A finger on the pulse: Temporal rhythms and information seeking in medical care (pp. 344–353). Paper presented at the ACM conference on computer supported cooperative work (CSCW’02), New Orleans, LA. New York: ACM.
- Reddy, M., Dourish, P., & Pratt, W. (2001). Coordinating heterogeneous work: Information and representation in medical care (pp. 239–258). Paper presented at the European conference on computer supported cooperative work (ECSCW’01), Bonn, Germany.
- Reddy, M., Pratt, W., Dourish, P., & Shabot, M. (2002). Asking questions: Information needs in a surgical intensive care unit (pp. 651–655). Paper presented at the American Medical Informatics Association Fall symposium (AMIA’02), San Antonio, TX.
- Reddy, M., & Spence, P.R. (2006). Finding answers: Information needs of a multidisciplinary patient care team in an emergency department. In Proceedings of the American Medical Informatics Association Fall symposium (AMIA’06), Washington, DC.
- Gorman, P. N., Ash, J., Lavelle, M., Lyman, J., Delcambre, L., Maier, D., et al. (2000). Bundles in the wild: managing information to solve problems and maintain situation awareness. Library Trends, 49(2), 266–289.