John Desmond Bernal
- x-ray crystallography & molecular biology
- history of science
- Marxist in philosophy
- Communist in politics
4 Scientific archives
Bernal's 4 types of scientific archive:
- ephemeral notices of daily laboratory life, such as accounts of new discoveries, techniques, meetings, and discussions;
- handbooks and popular works on science, relating scientific progress to common human needs and aspirations;
- “old-style” journals, serving the limited purpose of giving the latest news from the world of research and discussing the social impact of scientific discoveries; and
- detailed, comprehensive reports and monographs documenting the advancement of each singular field of science over time as well as the interrelationships of various fields.
SCI 與 Bernal
- the idea of a central service for the selective dissemination of current scientific information.
以另一個方式實現 Bernal 選粹與科學資訊服務的想法
- In the early stages of the SCI , Bernal served on its editorial advisory board.
SCI的初期， Bernal 擔任其編輯諮詢委員
- He also wrote a review of Garfield’s Index
評論 Garfield 的索引：缺乏若干高品質期刊，但嘉許其跨學科基礎與設計