Cultural diversity in studies of information / Machlup & Mansfield (1983)
Citation - Machlup, F., & Mansfield, U. (1983). Cultural diversity in studies of information. The study of information: Interdisciplinary messages, 3-6.
Keyword - information
- Snow: two culture → mathematically minded laboratory-dweller, book-loving denizens of the library stacks
- analyze the logical and pragmatic relations among the disciplines and subject areas that are centered on information.
- interdisciplinary exploration | 跨學科探索 :
- “information is not just one thing. It means different things to those who expound its characteristics, properties, elements, techniques, functions, dimensions, and connections.” | _資訊_不是只有一種意義。一當我們詳解資訊的特徵、屬性、要素、技能、功能、面向與連結時，會有各種意義。
- Herbert Simon: anthropological exploration
- The First International Symposium on Information Theory was held in London in the summer of 1950. Among the participants, were “mathematicians, physicists, .engineers, linguists, physiologists, geneticists-in fact folk from almost every' branch of science.” (MacKay, 1969. p, ,9.) | 第一次關於資訊理論的跨學科研討會1950 London： 數學、物理學、工程學、語言學、生理學、遺傳學….各個科學領域..
- A Cluster of Disciplines and Specialties
- We begin our list with designations that contain the letters “inform”: information theory, information science, and informatics. We continue our list with a similarly primitive scheme of classification: first the disciplines . with names ending in -ics, then those ending in -logy, followed by those called science, analysis, theory, or research: bibliometrics, cybernetics, linguistics, phonetics, psycholinguistics, robotics, scientometrics, semantics, semiotics, systemics; cognitive psychology, lexicology, neurophysiology, psychobiology; brain science, cognitive science, cognitive neuroscience, computer science, computing science, communication sciences, library science, management science, speech science, systems science; systems analysis; automata theory, communication theory, control theory, decision theory, game theory, general system theory; artificial-intelligence research, genetic-information research, living-systems research, operations research, pattern-recognition research, telecommunications research. documentation & cryptography.
- Fences around the Fields
file link - Google Schloar, XXC